Favorite Scripture

Helaman 5:12 "And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

Monday, February 4, 2013

New Area




A lot of stuff this week. First off I'll explain the pictures that I sent. the first few are of the middle of the world. Those are some spiders,  a fish that swims up your you know what when you pee in a river, and a boa constrictor. All live in the Amazon. Next up is a diagram showing how they shrunk heads,step by step =). Then that little head is an actual shrunked baby head.Yeah!! I don't remember the order now so I'll just start explaining the others. That's a picture of a lizard that I caught in our apartment. Here I am all sweaty after cleaning the house! I had sweat dripping off my nose. That's my new companion, Elder LeBaron. Yeah I know it's a crappy picture, it wouldn't let me crop it....I think that's about it for the pictures....

So this week was awesome. We teach a lot of people here and we're always busy. My brain is to scattered to tell everything so I'll just give summaries. We have lots of investigators and they're all awesome.The people here are all awesome too. The only thing I don't like is the humidity. Not fun. We have a couple that we're teaching, Oscar and Anna. They're both really cool.Oscar is 20 and Anna is 24. Their problems are that they're not married (very common here), Oscar does marajuana,and his wife has a job....not going to say what it is. Their marriage has been stuggling a bit lately and me and my companion played marriage councellors for them for about 1.5 hours. Kind of weird since neither of us are married lol. But we tried to help them out anyway.

Anna's mom is a recent convert of about 1.5 weeks. She's solid. She takes care of about 6 of her grandkids because her children basically abandoned them. A really solid member with a lot of faith. 

We also just started teaching another unwed couple, Nora and Stalin. They're both awesome. They're keeping commitments and they're interested in the church. 

One more thing on the investigators for now. They went to church this week! For me that is a miracle. So awesome to see investigators at church for a change. 

The members here are also awesome. There's about 500 members, but only 110 are active. The 110 are awesome. They gave us a ton of references this week and we have lots of promising people to start teaching. Woot!

So a few things about the new area that I'm in. It's humid and pretty warm; very green with lots of tropical trees; everything gets moldy/mossy because it's so wet here. Lot's of bugs including mosquitos. Mostly in the morning and evening. I have 20 bites on my arm right now =). Yes I use repellant. Food here is good. They eat more seafood, rice and plantain here.We have lunch at someone's house everyday still. We have someone that washes our clothes but we also wash clothes by hand when we need them. And no they don't have a piano =).

I don't know if I can think of anything else to say. Just a lot of random stuff. Loving it here. Super awesome. Elder LeBaron is great. He's only got 6 months left in the mission. He's a mix between Kyle Teuscher and our cousin Scott. So he's pretty spontanious and fun. We get along great. He told me that I'm one of his favorite companions (he's had 8 others). So yeah. He's good. 

So birthday wishlist....money for souvenirs and candy. Like Peepsters, Reese's and Snickers. Cereal too if you can. It's kind of expensive here. Also a good hand fan would be awesome. We get pretty hot and sweaty here. Nothing else =).

Funny thing of the week: as missionaries we're hungry and don't have a lot of money sometimes. So we have to get creative with the food. One day for dinner I had a tortilla with raspberry jam and sourpatch kids. Now that's thinking! It was actually pretty good =). I'm actually thinking of making a recipe book for missionaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment