Favorite Scripture

Helaman 5:12 "And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

Monday, January 28, 2013

Zona Santo Domingo

Hello earthlings,

So right now, I'm in Zona Santo Domingo. Santo Domingo is in the coast. I got changed this month! So yeah. I'm not in Yaruquí anymore. Here the climate is humid and rainy, and if the sun is out, really hot. Luckily right now we're in the cooler season =). But I am so sweaty right now. I haven't sweated this much in the whole mission. My new companion is Elder LeBaron, a gringo and a District Leader here. My first gringo companion. I don't know him too well, but right off the bat we hit it off. He told me that I remind him so much of his best friend. So I think we'll get along pretty well. I can't tell you too much about my new area because I just got here today about 1 hour ago. Everyone tells me that it's awesome though and that they baptize a lot. Woot! One of the bad things about the coast is that hardly anyone is married and almost everyone has problems with the law of Chastity, down to 10 year olds sometimes......Pretty sad, but that's just one of the challenges that we'll have to get over here. The people here are also really nice and awesome. Looking forward to the new sector.

So updates on the past 2 weeks. First off, sorry I can't send pictures right now. I don't have a cable or a card reader with me right now. I'll tell you about the Ecuator when I can send the pictures, that way you can follow along and it'll make sense. But last week, the crappy week, was just that, crappy. All of our numbers were 0 except for 4 lessons to investigators and about 40 contacts. Pretty bad. Really bad actually. But the last week we did a lot better. We contacted and found some new people that we think have promise. We also got in some lessons with members too. Overall a better week. We met with Fam. Chandi and the husband told us that he knows that what we're teaching him is true and that baptism will make him happier, but he has a fear of chaning his life and doing things different. His wife isn't sure if this church is true or not. We helped them realize that one thing that they lack is the church attendance. They really commited to go to church this week because they really want to know if it's true. They didn't go....I still don't know why and I never will because I'm not there anymore =).

We also worked with Vinni a little bit. He told us that he doesn't know if the Book of Mormon is true or if Joseph Smith was a prophet......I think he knows, but he just forgot. So we're trying to help him get/realize a testimony of the Book of Mormon.

Elder Leal and I....we had a pretty rough time Friday afternoon until Saturday afternoon. Pretty hard. I'll spare the specifics to keep things nice, but we smoothed out saturday afternoon and finished out our companionship fine. He's staying in Yaruquí as District Leader and Trainer. Good luck. =)

I just remembered some things that I wanted to say. They hot sauce that they call Picante, is really good. You can put it on burgers, fries, or whatever. Although I have no idea what's in it. It's not very spicy, just a bit. And for mom or anyone that speaks spanish, here's a couple of words/slangs that they use here in Ecuador. Man (pronounced mon)= man. Bína= slang for thing. Chupa/chupos=suck, or sucky. Yeah I know you don't like it mom, but they use it here ;). I don't know if they use this in other places too, but chuta= shoot or dang. That's all I can think of for now. Oh, and to say bolsa is bad, normally it means bag but here it means something else....so we use funda instead =)

Holy cow I'm so sweaty right now....whew....It's good to hear that Hunter's doing well and that he's having spiritual experiences. Keep it up! I'll be updating all of you on the Ecuator next week and how my first week is here in the coast. If any of you have questions for me. Let me know! And about the card. I can activate it here. That would be better, safer and easier. And if Hunter's schedule is really repetive, it's just like mine was =). Hahaha! He's still in the MTC, sucker.....

Funny thing of the week: we talked with a lady. She's a Jehovah's Witness....whew....shudder. So for those of you who don't really know any of them they really stick to the Bible. They "prove" everything they say with the Bible. Almost if it doesn't say it in the Bible, you can't say it. Basically they're psychotic. So we were talking to her and her head is very thick and she doesn't understand anything. Then I told her that if she prayed, recieved and answer, and God told her that this church was true, would she be willing to change. Here is her good spirited Jehovah's Witness response,"Where does it say that in the Bible?" Face-palm...."You don't have to read the Bible! You have to PRAY!!", I told her. If you ever come across a Jehovah's Witness just say,"Oh you poor thing. God bless your lost soul". They're hopeless =)

Hasta Luego,

Elder Black

No comments:

Post a Comment