Favorite Scripture

Helaman 5:12 "And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

Monday, August 5, 2013

We've Been Robbed!


Hello world. Greetings from Ecuador. I would like to start off with an announcement. It's great news so listen up....our house got robbed. So here's the story. On tuesday morning we left the house at 11:00 like always. Then we went back to the house at around 3:00 to drop off some things and get back to work. To get to our house you have to walk up a few stairs and you are met by a door made of metal bars. Once you open that you have to open the door to our apartment which is made of wood. So, going up the stairs I went to open the first metal door and it was open. The I looked at the lock and it was busted open. Panicking I looked at the door to our apartment and it was open and broken by the handle as well. In that moment I knew that someone had robbed our house. I looked around to see what they had taken. They had gone into my room, opened the closet and thrown my clothes on the floor. I looked at everything and this is what they took: a clock, 3 watches, a mp4 player, a speaker and a bag of medicine. In total about $350 worth of stuff. Yup, it stinks. We talked to the neighbors and we found out that almost nobody was in their house at that time of the day, about 12:00. One person said that they saw a car in front of our house and a couple of guys. But they thought they were some leaders of ours inspecting the house. So they didn't do anything. So that's the story....We got robbed in broad daylight...I even kept a piece of the door they broke =).

So! I've had a couple of requests as to what my new sector is like. The area that I'm in is surrounded by mountains and dormant volcanoes. EVERYONE here is indigenous and work in the field. In my sector they people are really prideful and get offended easily, so there are a lot of less active and inactive members. Many of the inactives are not just inactives, also apostates. They start going to the catholic or evangelist church lol. The food here is very simple and eat lots of potatoes and what they call tostado. Tostado is dried corn that they later fry on a pan over a fire. It tastes like popcorn, but isn't fluffy. Everyday they eat tostado and potatoes....everyday....... lol. Right now the weather is pretty mild but with lots of wind and dust. Also we're in the dry season so it doesn't rain very often. Actually it hasn't rained in the 3 weeks that I've been here. The streets here don't have names. Actually they don't even have streets; just dirt roads. So they give directions by saying by which irrigation canal is close and by which family they live. Everyone here knows each other. That's basically my sector =).
Well...not much happens here in our sector. Pretty slow as far as the mission work goes so there's not really anything to say about our investigators. I think this week we only taught 2 lessons to investigators....Yup. More than anything we're trying to help out the less active families. The church attendance is dropping and there are a lot of less actives and apostates. We're having more success with them than the investigators. 

One thing I would like for you to send. It's called "17 Cosas que hace la iglesia verdadera". If you could send it to me in spanish that would be great =). Also a recommendation for everybody. I read a talk called the Trilogy of Skousen. It's about why the cruxifiction is important for us. It's awesome. I'll attach it in this email.
Funny thing of the week: So, we were going to visit a less active family. While walking, a drunk guy started talking to us (I don't know why, but drunk people always want to talk to us). Neither me, nor me companion understood him. He just kept talking about "Papá", or father, referring to God. He didn't make any sense. He went on for 3 minutes saying papá and my companion asked him if he thought God was happy seeing him drunk like this. He said, "Of course, he's my 'papá'". And then he kept talking about papá. We tried to leave but he wouldn't let us. Then Elder Cruz shook his hand and told him that we were going to go. But then he didn't let go of him. Finally my Elder Cruz got free and then the drunk guy made a fist and acted like he wanted to hit him. Then we ran away =)

Elder Black

No comments:

Post a Comment